Oct 21, 2014

Drifting by Providence - a thought

If a politician is late by a few hours it is often joked that he is punctual as per the Indian Standard time. However for me 5 pm had always meant exactly 5 pm. Several times I reach at social or religious functions before all others. But it is not the same for most of the people of my country. Here 5 pm can easily mean 7 pm. Very rarely do I meet a person who is particular about the exactness of time.

A part of me feels that it is a kind of shortcoming in me. On several occasions, I have been driving my car or motorcycle unusually fast to keep up with the comittment of time. I am thankful to God who has been saving me from accidents all along.

From today onwards I resolve not to take time related commitments seriously. In the first place I would try not to commit any fixed time to anybody at all. Moreover my body is not as strong as it used to be earlier. I must allow myself some relaxation. I hope it would do no harm to anyone as it is absolutely fine to be late in our culture.

Yesterday someone from the neighbourhood asked me to attend the Antim Ardas (Last prayers after death) of his father-in-law at village Hans Kalan which is about 20 km from my place. In Punjab a grand feast is organised if the senior most person of a family passes away. Firstly a person is treated with Pakoras and sweets of all kinds along with tea and coffee. After the prayer session there is a lunch that includes the best of vegetarian dishes. I assured the gentleman that I would be present at the occasion. But today I cannot attend the function for a couple of reasons. I am feeling helpless with a lowered self esteem. Seldom do I make false promises like that. But from now onwards I would take my words and promises a bit lightly. After all age has started showing on my physical strength. It may not always allow me to honour my words all the time.

{ He plans to go towards the West but Providence drifts him towards the East - Guru Arjun Dev }