Aug 1, 2014

The vanishing grey hair

Some say that the grey hair speak obout the maturity of a person. Such people often quote an Indian saying, "Maine ye baal dhoop main safed nahi kiye hain" (My hair haven't become grey due to the sunshine). They mean to say that they have the experience of life. Some people say that the grey hair are a calling from God. The God says that the timespan of life is running out. Once I heard my cousin say that these are letters from God. If we dye them we are distorting the God's command. Once during a casual discussion amongst the teachers in a technical college I was asked why some people get grey beard faster than the others. In a lighter vein I replied, " The grey hair of our beards are indicators of the expended charge of our sexual battery. Moreover if we remain true to one woman our electrical connections are robost. If a person keeps changing the connections every now and then, there occurs  an arc in our body's electric system and the beard becomes grey faster". Further jokingly I added that moustache becomes grey faster if a person tells more  lies than others and the hair of the head grey faster due to tensions and worries."

When I was employed in Delhi, I used to tie my beard using a hair fixer. Sometimes I feel that the lower part of my beard became grey faster than the upper part due to this imprisonment of the hair. However,  If I compare the greying of my beard with the people of my age it shows that my currents are draining at a very normal rate.

In the seventies when I was a school going boy, the society appeared to be less pretentious. Many people wore grey hair. The late prime minister Mrs Indira Gandhi used to have a tuft of grey hair adorning the forehead. It made her look unique and beautiful. In contrast nowadays people love to remain young with cent per cent black hair throughout their lives. Once a Sardarji from armed forces told me that it is essential as it is a kind of camouflage to survive in the society where there is a cut throat competition in every field.

In the picture below we can see the new army chief of our country in perfectly black hair and moustache. Maybe a grey hair and a grey moustache are less intimidating and less impressive for the image of an army personnel.