Jul 9, 2014

How childish I was

On third of July my Mother was alive though seriously sick. How childish I was with mother still around  can be known from the following message sent to a whatsapp group of schoolmates.
' Friends I joined the school in 8th. Ours was a new section especially created for us. The students of the sections were shuffled in the 9 th class. You know why? Perhaps the Principal's son wanted his flame to be in his class. I was indeed a v bright guy till 10th. One day the Maths teacher of 8th class came to our nineth class. She was casually enquiring about the marks that we had got in a Maths test paper which was given to us in the previous period. Closing her eyes she said "And Kamaljit you must have got full marks?". "Yes madam", I said.
Vikas Malhotra,Vijay Karamchetti, Vinayak etc were in my class. In 10th my self and Vijay Karamchetti were the only ones who got distinction in English. And yes my first flame joined 10th in the middle of the session. She went somewhere else after 10th. I missed her badly. In 11th I was in science stream. I had a lot of problem in adjusting with the teenage hormones and jeering and joking pertaining to me being a Sardar. Sensitive that I was, it hurt. Do not want to hold grudges and do not want to name the guys who in particular jeered and mocked. But then another flame was there in eleventh and silent ashquee, much of which could be one sided, took place. In twelveth there were two flames as one more had joined. But these flames, teenage hormones and so many other things made me only barely pass in 12th. Quite like a rolling stone I did elect engg. Diploma and served in a few Multinational companies like BPL, Modi Xerox, Bharti telecom, Salora etc. Then in 1999 we shifted to Jagraon. I started providing private coaching to the students and my wife got employed as a govt. teacher. Moreover we made a fortune by buying land in my village by selling urban property of Noida. Luckily we are among the rich guys here. My elder son is pursuing MBBS and younger one is in tenth.
Now forgive me for relating some funny but true and not very decent incidents of the school life-
1- In nineth boys and girls played a game gallery together for a few days. So while dodging and running a chick made me out by lightly touching me by her fingers but on the pvt organ. "Out Out Kamaljit out." Now I was thinking that other boys would jeer at me saying something like"12 to nahi bajj gaye. Out kara diya". Sensing the risk I instantly said " Achha batao kahan lagga?". The chick said "Acha not out not out', and the game started again.
2- We were being taught reproductive system in eleventh class. The teacher taught and taught and taught. Finally the topic of sperms came. She explained and explained and explained. Finally when the lecture was over she said by lifting her nose, "And children, it has got a peculiar smell". Heavens heavens heavens that information was not there in the book also.'
My mother passed away on 4th July and my thinking has undergone a sea change.