Sep 29, 2014

Another Sunday - A short essay

Ysterday was Sunday. We had a breakfast party at Satti Halwai's shop. It was to celebrate the finishing of the September exams of the tenth class students. My younger son is one among them.

In Jagraon there are shops which are famous for one particular dish. Ashoki is famous for Samosas. He has made a fortune by selling them. He is considered to be among the richest persons of the town. Similarly Satti Halwaii is famous for his Poories made on Sunday mornings. He provides three types of curry dishes along with them. One is Cholle. Another is Palak Kofta and the third one is potato curry. Besides there is Chuttney as well. The curries are spiced to an extreme degree. In one plate there are three poories. One can get the curries second time without any extra payment. Also if extra Poories are taken there would be curries along with them. One plate costs Rs 40. Several families of the town do not prepare breakfast on Sundays. They carry the Poories of Satti to their house. Some do not have lunch after that. They only eat dinner along with some curry that is saved during the morning. So they only prepare chapatties at night. I had asked my students to eat as much as they wanted. Since the curries are too spicy one can hardly eat more than five Poories.

I had wanted to go there with a hungry stomach. But my stomach was quite full when I reached at the old Dana Mandi restaurant of Satti at 9 AM. I get up at 4 AM. It is difficult for me to remain hungry till 9 AM. At 6 AM, I had eaten three loaves of bread with Desi ghee and lemon tea. At 7.30 AM my wife cooked Dhoklas for the breakfast. I had a sufficient quantity of that also. As a result I was hardly having any appetite when I reached Satti's shop.  Nevertheless the smell aroused the hunger once again. I ate four Poories. Before the party started two of my students paid their tuition fees to me.

Then the students came to my house. We had tea at my place. The boys played video games along with my son who is their classmate. After that there was a Chess tournament in which I lost in the first round itself.

We had a plan to do a video recording of the students doing Bhangra but it was cancelled. Who can perform Bhangra with Poories in the stomach? The boys left our place at noon.

The lunch that I had yesterday was frugal due to the heavy breakfast of Poories. After that I slept till 4 pm.

At around 5 pm, we ate a South Indian dish called Poha. During that time I got a call from some sales girl of Meritnation. These people call once in a few months to ask if we have any problem using their website. We are their customers for the last two years. I suggested her that their website lacked interaction with the students. They need to have some forum at the social media where the students can have discussions with each other and the teacher.

In the evening we had a brain storming session regarding the tablet that we should buy through flipkart. My elder son who is pursuing MBBS at Bhatinda also gave valuable suggestions on phone. Finally we decided to place an order for the 10 inch Tablet of HP. Before ordering we did a short prayer. We usually do that way while purchasing valuable items.

When it was dark all of us  recited the name of God for ten minutes. We were four. Myself, my wife, our younger son and the daughter of my wife's younger sister. She often stays with us as she is doing BSc from the Science college Jagraon. She is in the third year now. She goes back to her village whenever there are holidays and vacations. We sat together for reciting the name of God We usually have this prayer session every Sunday. Although it is only for ten minutes, it provides an environment of tranquillity to the house.

After that I realised that banks would remain closed for a couple of days due to festivals and the September closing. To keep the purse loaded with some cash l went to the ATM along with my younger son on Activa scooter. Small towns have very poor street lights. At most places there aren't any at all. Usually we do not venture out after dark. We went only to fetch some money lest there should be shortage for the house hold expenses. Since we had stepped out of the house we also went to the Easy Day Mall to buy some kitchen provisions. We had been buying Shakti Bhog Atta for some time as there was an offer of half a Kg Basmati rice on the purchase of a 10 Kg packet. The scheme was probably over. So we bought another brand. Easyday has recently installed a wireless machine to swipe the card. It is very convenient now. Earlier the wired one was quite messy.

We came back and had our dinner. We went to sleep at around 8 pm. Thus passed another Sunday of my life.